Saturday, December 2, 2017

Gebo - Rune of Giving and Getting

Gebo is said to be the Rune of the gift, the giver, the recipient and the contract.  Years ago, people actually used this Rune as a signature when signing many kinds of contracts.  At Yule we exchange 'gifts'.   This kind of exchange carries with it energy.   You give me goods, I give you money.  I give you services, you give me employment.  I give you a load, you agree to pay me back with interest.  I give you 10 chickens you give me a piglet ... and so on.

Gebo has the gggg sound, conveniently, as in the word 'gift'.   My Norse rituals consist mainly of galdr, using sound, song and dance.  Read my post on Galdr (gaul-der) Singing Runic Energies 



Short Galdr and poetry on Gebo by Sigha Manning, my favorite Dutch seidth woman.

Again, we are going to search for English nouns that begin with the G Rune sound, to hopefully get a better idea of what the Gebo energy really consists of.

grab, grabbing, grace, grad, grade, grader, gradient, gradualist, graduate, graduating, graduation, graffiti, graft, graham, grain, graining, gram, grammar, granary, grandchildren, granddaughter, grandeur, grandfather, grandma, grandmother, grandson, grandstand, granite, grant, granting, gulp, gun, gum, garbage, granite, gift, giver, goat, gore, gather, get-together, game, 
 (search a dictionary or google for more English words that begin with G)

Taking the word goat for instance.  The farmer takes care of the goat and the goat gives the farmer milk.  Looking at the word gore, the matador taunts the bull and in return the bull gores the matador.  A gun for instance, 'your money or your life' ?  The energy inherent in Gebo would be a good one to call forth in order to find a job -- your services for steady employment.

Sound is key to finding the energy of the runes.  Sound is all around us in what we say, what we hear, and the names of the things we use.   Read more of my posts on Runic energy and the meaning of words that begin with their sounds.  Say the Magic Word







No comments:

Post a Comment

"You're here no matter what." ~The Universe

We all walk around loving peace and hating war.  We complain about people's aggression towards us and to others.  We complain about nat...